De-clutter Your Home
No Offense- Your Family Photos are Cool, Just not that cool!
Your home is filled with your memories and belongings, but potential buyers want to envision their own lives in the houses that they tour. By following a few tips, you can de-clutter your home and make sure it is appealing to buyers.
- Clear away the clutter
- De-cluttering your home is one of the most important steps to take before a realtor takes photographs of your home or before your home is shown to prospective buyers.
- No clutter should be on the floors (even on the floors in your closets) because you want your house to look as big as possible and clutter makes a house seem smaller.
- Pack up unnecessary items and furniture and put them into storage to show the maximum amount of space your home has to offer.
- Personal items like family photographs might be a focal point of a room, but consider removing these items when your house is on the market.
- Remember: Less is more
- Clean, clean, clean!
- Give your house a good scrub from top to bottom, making sure to clean even the places where you don’t typically look or use. Prospective buyers like to look everywhere!
- Steam clean carpets to rid them of dust, pet fur or odor, stains, etc.
- The kitchen is a selling point for many buyers, make sure it’s clean
- While you are cleaning, make sure to examine for any necessary repairs and keep a list of what needs to be done to make these repairs.
- You might even want to consider hiring a professional to help you by cleaning up every week or two, just to keep things looking tidy in case a realtor shows your house.
- Consider replacing carpets if they are worn or old.
- Make sure to vacuum before your house is shown.
- Straighten out the pantry and line shelves.
- Remove unnecessary appliances from the counters to maximize space, but keep ones that are used often.ive
- Clean and polish lighting fixtures and faucets, consider replacing them if they are damaged.
- Bathrooms need to be squeaky clean with no clothing or towels on the floor.
- There should be no toys or personal belongings in the tub or on the floor.
- Make sure your house smells fresh
- Nothing turns a prospective buyer away like a bad odor. Make sure your house is clean and odor free.